Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My One Word for 2014


Happy New Year.....2014! A fresh new year is right in front of us. A few years ago I decided to stop setting new years resolutions and instead choose one word to focus on for the year. You can read about it under the tab My Story. This past year was filled with twists and turns as well as so many wonderful life experiences for my family. Our oldest daughter, Emily, graduated from the University of Florida with high honors, I ran my first marathon, Mark competed in several Triathlons, our youngest daughter, Katie,  graduated from the College of Central Florida, we cheered on Emily as she ran her first half marathon and then finally we helped Emily transition to Las Vegas where she accepted a position at Central Christian as the Associate Director of Communications & Branding www.centralonline.tv. Whew.....and those are just a few of the highlights. Emily and Katie decided to road trip out to Vegas so they left on New Years Eve. That was one of the hardest moments for us, to watch the girls drive away and know that life will never be the same. As we stood in the kitchen, all for of us in tears, we told the girls we will always be Team Cummins we will just be in different places...Multi-site:)! We prayed for protection and guidance and His peace to fill us. Then the girls drove away and Mark and I found ourselves sitting in front of the fireplace, not really able to speak or move for several hours. I finally opened up my journal and I began to write out my thoughts & feelings. I knew I needed a Word for this year more than ever.
 
My one word for 2014 is Focus. This will be a very different year for me....I have never been here before. The landscape of my life is changing with Emily out west and Katie charting her course. It will be easy for me to drift.....drift in my thoughts, to old patterns, in my eating & exercise habits, to drift into depression & just want to stay in bed. My life just looks different & feels different.
FocusI need to think on what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think on these things. (Phil 4) I need to focus on God and trust His Word, Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer & petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. He still has a plan for my life. To focus on an incredible future. To focus on trying new things & achieving new goals.
 
One word is sticky and memorable. It gives clarity & a laser focus throughout the year. It will stretch you spiritually, physically, mentally, relationally, emotionally & financially. By living a single word that is meant just for you, you'll find a renewed purpose & meaning throughout the year. Instead of coming up with a list of things "to do" choose one word "to be" and then let God transform you from the inside out. It will change your life!

Visit www.GetOneWord.com where you can read stories of others on this same journey.

Send me your One Word for 2014 Linda@hopeinocala.com. I would love to hear your story!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Wow! What a year it has been for you! I love the word "Focus". I'm going to add that book to the list of books I'm going to read. Thanks for sharing your heart.